Sunday, June 10, 2012

Lamtical, Prozac.... Oh My (and Metformin too)!

In a world where there is still very much a stigma around mental illness often medications do not make that stigma any easier for that person. I will give you a prime example that happen to me several months ago before I was pregnant. I was filling all my medications (some for Bipolar some for PCOS) and this little old lady saw that I had a larger bag (I would not say large but they put your medications in brown paper bags depending on what you getting is the size you get. I was happening to get some test strips for my monitor). She told me I was to young to have as many medications as her. I smiled and then without warning she blurts out- WAIT YOUR NOT CRAZY ARE YOU? For once in my life I wanted to slap an old person but I just walked off it and it got me thinking... what is wrong with my medications... if they are making me better? First and for most it is no ones business what people take and what their health problems are unless the elect to tell you. I mean I could have yelled out- WAIT DO YOU HAVE A BAD HEART? Really not the same affect but you get the  idea it really is no one else's business unless you allow it be and if they have gotten into your business it is your right to tell them to back off (hopefully in nicer terms)

I guess the reason behind this blog post is that it is okay to be on medications for various health problems to include mental illness. You may not want it to be public or even let people know but the importance of medications (whatever the reason you are on them has a reason). I will not go into great detail but I am on what I like to call a "Bipolar Med Cocktail" and a "PCOS Med Cocktail". I refer to these as cocktails because they usually consist of multiple medications that are currently working to treat my two on going health problems. As of now there is no "CURE" for either one of these so accepting that I will likely be on daily medications for the rest of my life is what I must deal with. Believe me some days are harder than others but I pull through most of time. For example two of the medications that I am on for PCOS is  Metformin (Common brand names Fortament, Glucophage, Glumetza, and Riomet) and Birth Control Pills. Both of these medications help treat PCOS symptoms which include but are not limited to (each woman is different)

 So as you can see why medication is very important.......

Then there is Bipolar Medications that I am on.... and it is cocktail just like my PCOS. If I did not take my medications then I would be facing these symptoms alone... and I have been there and it is not fun fighting these alone.


Symptoms

The primary symptoms of bipolar disorder are dramatic and unpredictable mood swings.
Mania symptoms may include excessive happiness, excitement, irritability, restlessness, increased energy, less need for sleep, racing thoughts, high sex drive, and a tendency to make grand and unattainable plans.
Depression symptoms may include sadness, anxiety, irritability, loss of energy, uncontrollable crying, change in appetite causing weight loss or gain, increased need for sleep, difficulty making decisions, and thoughts of death or suicide.


Now just like  any health problem medication is often not the cure all.... and for PCOS and Bipolar..... medications do not solve all my problems and there have been many of pity parties of why me and why do I have to take all of these (I have thought about it more than once throwing all meds out and doing it once) medications.

What it boils down too..... have conversations with your doctor if medication is to be part of your life.... learn to accept it no matter what it is for. Whether it Asthma medication, blood pressure medication, birth control pills (to prevent pregnancy or for other reasons)... or taking medications to help with a mental illness... it is OKAY. A doctors goal when it comes to giving you medication is to keep you healthy.... and if you were my friend or anyone for that matter

I would like to know you will be around for a bit....

No comments:

Post a Comment