Wednesday, January 22, 2014

DIY: Carpet Cleaner Powder

So have you guys made your own laundry soap? Well I am a big fan of that but one problem is always have borax left over and when not sealed properly it hardens. So I started researching what can you do with borax besides what else is on the box? Well I found a great recipe for DIY Carpet cleaner powder and I tested it out myself and I am sold! I am horrible about doing before and after pictures. Here is my recipe and it will call for some unlikely items but trust me and keep reading!




DIY CARPET CLEANING POWDER



Borax (I use what is left from making my own laundry soap)
2 Boxes of Baking Soda (standard size)
Cornmeal (optional but strongly suggested)
Cinnamon (optional)
Container with lid large enough for mixture
Scoop/Measuring Cup


Before I begin this recipe as I stated calls for unlikely items but please bare with me and I will explain. This recipe is easy-peasy. All you do is mix your Borax Powder and Baking Soda Powder in the container and make sure the mixture is well mixed. Now you can stop there and use this on your carpets by sprinkling it on there, letting it sit, then vacuum. You should have plenty of mixture for multiple cleanings.






However, the recipe I use calls for cornmeal. Now why cornmeal? I asked the same questions and was very skeptical of its purpose on my carpets. So here is my best way to explain why there is cornmeal used in the DIY Carpet Cleaning Powder. If you put a little bit in your hands you can feel how rough/abrasive it is. Well when it is put in the cleaning powder mixture it requires your vacuum to work at getting up and I guess what you would call fluffing the nap of the carpet. It also causes us to go slower when we are vacuuming and making sure we get all the powder mixture up (which I am guilty of). If you do not believe me try it out yourself in a small area. If you decide to use cornmeal in your recipe the question is often how much do you use? Well that is just really personal taste really. I add just enough to really tell/feel the abrasiveness of the powder.

The Cinnamon is just simple I just sprinkled it in there for smell. There are all sorts of fragrances you can add to the mixture but once again that is for personal taste.

How long to leave the carpet cleaning powder on? one of the reasons I used this powder was to drastically freshen my home. One of my dogs was sick and had a very much "sick dog smell" . It was horrible and no matter what I did I could still smell it. Well we were going to visit family and I decided to sprinkle this on the carpet and leave it until we got back. So it stayed on my carpet for a week. It really worked and my carpets looked great and my house smelled back to normal. Well I know a week is not an ideal time. So I have tested out a couple of times. If your entire house leaves for the day you can sprinkle the powder on the carpet and then vacuum when you return. I did find it when I was cleaning you can leave it on your carpets for about 30 minutes and get the desired results.

HAPPY CLEANING!

WARNING: I AM ONE PERSON AND HAVE ONLY TESTED THIS OUT ON MY CARPETS. I HAVE GIVEN THIS RECIPE TO OTHERS BUT HAVE EXPLAINED THEY SHOULD TEST THIS RECIPE OUT ON THEIR OWN CARPETS BEFORE USING!




3 comments:

  1. Hi, I'll have to try this powder mixture. I have two young children and cream carpets, so you can imagine how mucky they get. I do though use a professional carpet cleaning service once a year, to give all of my carpets a deep clean. I have to say that they are well worth the money for hygienically clean carpets.

    Bennie Dixon @ Safeclean Wandsworth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the valuable feedback. I think that strategy is sound and can be easily replicable. Great posts. I love this article. Window Cleaning Hartlepool by Tidyups. Call 07506 709450 for complete cleaning services including carpet, oven and end of tenancy cleaning in Hartlepool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Oven Cleaning Teesside

    ReplyDelete