Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bucket List- I Understand Finally and Why it is Not For Me.




I love the movie The Bucket List (But it is not for me)! I love Morgan Freeman and what can you say about Jack Nicholson! The whole story in movie to me is very moving and even though it did have a tearful ending I do not think that was the entire purpose of the movie (even though I love a good tearful movie). Now the basics of this movie is these two men have nothing in common besides they both have a terminal illness and they come from very two different backgrounds. Morgan Freeman's character Carter who was a blue collar worker has this list about the things he wanted to do before he died and Jack Nicholson character Edward comes from money but lives a lonely lifestyle decided he would fund their bucket lists. There were some great moments in the movie that would make you a smile and make you laugh until tears fall. 

The slogan of this movie is : You Only Live Once, So Why Not Die In Style?

As much as I love this movie I am not sure my slogan should be that and I really do not believe in a "bucket list". Please do not get me wrong there are many things that I would love to do but I do want to contain them to a list. I took for granted how precious time could be and I really do not want to spend it reading things about 100 places before you die, 1,000 things you should before you are gone, and so on. I do not understand why we have to focus are intentions on what we have to before we are gone. The fact of life is we will die we all knew we will one day take our last breath and if you are straight with your maker then you are good to go (sorry to be blunt about it). I have no intention on dying in style I am all for just closing my eyes! So why not focus on life?!?!

As great as this movie was I do not want be laying in a bed wishing that I would have done something different. However, at the same time I do not want to be putting stuff on a "list" because like many list they keep growing and sometimes things will never crossed off! Facing reality I am not going to walk on the moon anytime soon so I do not see the purpose of putting that on a list. Plus there are a lot of references to a list.... and to me it is actually more complicated. I rather experience things as they are! My Daddy always has told me that "you cannot hate something until you try it". I try to adopt that with everything that I do.... sometimes are better than others but I am willing to at least try and ALWAYS willing to listen to someone's views on things. 

I have gotten a tattoo, blown up a pumpkin (doing it again soon), and tried a Dirty Martini (yep-never going to happen again). There are many things that I still will like to do like go to a certain theme park during Halloween and ride their roller coasters and go on a cruise. I also know actions come with consequences so I am not going to jump of a building because I felt like it or even drive a race car... so what about having a family? Should I put that on my "bucket list" because of my challenges? It does bring up an interesting areas of discussion. That is why I do not believe in these "list".

I rather live my life, I know where my heart lies, I know where my soul lies, and I cannot stop time so instead of thinking of things I want to and putting them on a list I rather just live a life with the fewest regrets possible. 
There are really great quotes in the movie.... 

By Edward: The simplest thing is... I loved him. And I miss him. Carter and I saw the world together. Which is amazing... When you think that only three months ago, we were complete strangers! I hope that it doesn't sound selfish of me but... the last months of his life were the best months of mine. He saved my life... And he knew it before I did...

By Carter: Even now I cannot understand the measure of a life, but I can tell you this. I know that when he died, his eyes were closed and his heart was open. And I'm pretty sure he was happy with his final resting place, because he was buried on the mountain. And that was against the law. 

These are really great quotes because when you think about it, there are going to be a lot of people that come into your life that love you and will one day miss you but will have both impacted each other in a way that you may not understand now. These people may just be there for a season no more than a summer breeze and others will be there your entire lifetime and you will see the world together I think... and I am just not talking a physical places there is so much to experience if your heart is open. I have danced in another person's living room over a medication working. I cried because I had too... I watched a friend bust one heck of a move on the dance floor and bring a light no other.... I smiled because my dog Charlie looked up at me with his still puppy eyes... My heart broke because I could not explain why his Uncle would not be home for Christmas or could simply come over and play.... I played "thats not fair card" as my husband beat me in most video games.... I do not deny that I am more then a little country.... I know sometimes I get funny looks because I can be one of the guys.... It IS LIFE!!! 

The fact is a lot of us cannot understand the measure of a life and I will continue to question it to this day.... there will be times you will ask why or even scream it to the sky? However, with an open heart you can do many great things.

One of these great things is laughing!!! I think if I did actually have a list that would be on there a hundred times or more. My favorite scene in the entire movie was the conversation about the coffee that Edward loved! 

[Carter hands Edward an article about Kopi Luwak, Edward's favorite coffee]
Carter Chambers: Read it.
Edward Cole: [reading] Kopi Luwak is the world's most expensive coffee. Though for some, it falls under the category of "too good to be true." In the Sumatran village, where the beans are grown, lives a breed of wild tree cat. These cats eat the beans, digest them and then... defecate.
[pauses]
Edward Cole: The villagers then collect and process the stools. It is the combination of the beans and the gastric juices of the tree cat that give Kopi Luwac...
[Carter starts laughing]
Edward Cole: ...its unique flavor... and aroma. You're shitting me!
Carter Chambers: [laughing] Cats beat me to it!
[Carter and Edward both laugh hysterically

I love to laugh and when it is side splitting it is the best because you know at that time your heart is really open and you are enjoying the moment no matter what it is.... and I have been in a lot of side splitting laughter. I will not post any memories on here but even thinking about them now puts a smile on my face.

Therefore I am not going to have life dictated on a list or in a bucket for that matter! 


No comments:

Post a Comment